Piranesi as Designer
Click to enlarge

perspective of newdigate candelabrum with cranse, from vasi, candelabri, cippi, sarcofagi..., 1778

One of the most exceptional candelabra depicted in Piranesi’s Vasi are a pair excavated by Gavin Hamilton at Hadrian’s Villa. After substantial restoration, the candelabra were acquired in Rome by British collector Sir Roger Newdigate in 1775, and later presented to the University of Oxford and transferred to the Ashmolean Museum.